For accounting professionals, the AP voucher is the single source of truth for tracking supplier invoices. An AP voucher has information from a supplier like the firm amount that is due, terms for payment, signatures of authorized firm representatives, and more. Keeping this information up to date and correct is critical, however, errors and other changes do occur.
- Is there an invoice that was accidentally entered twice and one needs to be voided/reversed one?
- Was tax, shipping or another amount missing on an invoice and now it is already posted?
- Is an entered invoice amount incorrect and need to be corrected?
If this sounds familiar, it’s because these are all common issues that come up in the AP world. Typically, AP associates will enter a new voucher to correct these items and then reverse or add/subtract to the value of an original invoice. By doing this, two vouchers are entered for the same invoice number, often by adding a letter or number to the original invoice number. When the invoice is paid, the associate needs to remember to select both vouchers to pay the entire correct amount of the invoice. In the case of a duplicate invoice, there isn’t a “void voucher” option like there is void check or void client invoices.
However, there is a better solution - utilize “Voucher Lookup” to edit an AP voucher easily & smoothly!
Using Deltek Vantagepoint AP Voucher Lookup
Once an AP Voucher is posted Deltek Vantagepoint, it isn’t very evident that there is an option to edit the voucher. But there is! Voucher lookup is a great tool that is not as widely used as it should be.
When using AP Voucher lookup, Vantagepoint “attaches” the new voucher detail lines to the original voucher by utilizing the same voucher number and voucher header. When the corrected voucher is attached to the original there won’t be two vouchers for the same invoice to reconcile in vendor review or select in payment processing! As a result, vendor records are kept clean!
Examples of Deltek Vantagepoint AP Voucher Lookup:
Issue 1: Whoops! Two vouchers were entered for the same invoice and one of them needs to be reversed.
Solution: Enter a new AP transaction, use voucher lookup, and reverse the original lines. This AP entry will be linked or “attached” to the original voucher, not creating a new voucher but editing the original, making a zero-dollar total invoice. The steps are as follows:
- Go to Transaction Center > Transaction Entry > AP Vouchers. Either start a new batch (if using batches) or a new transaction (if using single transaction posting).
- Select the vendor. Don’t enter the rest of the header data!
- Go to the top right under “Other Actions” and select “Voucher Lookup”.
- A list of the vouchers for this vendor will appear.
- Select the original voucher for the invoice that needs to be edited.
- In the top of the list there is a search box that can be used to find an amount, voucher or invoice number and it will search for any matches from the existing vouchers.
- Next, select the voucher that requires editing. The voucher header information will populate from the original voucher… this is where the linking comes in.
- At this point, anything entered in the voucher details below will add to the original voucher line items. If the original entry had three lines and another it added, four lines will appear in the voucher review.
- In this example, the original voucher needs to be reversed entirely.
- To reverse lines, go back to “Other Actions”, select “Copy/Reverse Lines”.
- Check the box in the top header row to select all voucher detail lines.
- Click “Reverse All”.
- This selection will bring these lines into the voucher detail as a negative, using the same project coding. Which is simple, FAST, and does not require re-keying of line items!
- Post voucher as usual.
- In voucher review, the original line items and the additional link items entered during the Voucher Lookup will appear.
- In this example, the overall voucher is now zero and the total lines in the voucher are 12.
Issue 2: Need to add an additional line for tax, shipping or other charges missed on original entry?
Solution: Do all steps from above, except line 6, don’t use the Copy/Reverse function. Simply add the lines needed to add to the voucher detail. Any lines that are added will link/attach to the original voucher and add/subtract to the original voucher amount.
Issue 3: Need to correct an amount in the original voucher?
Solution: Do everything above, including Copy/Reversing Lines. It is suggested to reverse the line(s) that were entered incorrectly and then enter the correct amount so there is a good audit trail. After reversing the line(s) that were entered in error, add the correct lines in the same voucher. Every line that is reversed and/or add will still link/attach to the original voucher and add/subtract to the original voucher amount.
Solve Common Accounting Challenges with Deltek Vantagepoint
Deltek Vantagepoint does more than making AP voucher corrections easy. Need to bill a client interest on a past due invoice? Check out this mini demonstration to learn how and make sure to explore all the free Vantagepoint content available on the Full Sail Partners’ website. Additionally, Full Sail Partners is dedicated to the success of its clients. Use the image link below to contact Full Sail Partners with questions about Vantagepoint.